Thursday, December 21, 2017

Holding the Fort, by Regina Jennings {Book Review}

A dance hall singer from Wichita loses her job, travels to the fort at which her brother is stationed, and ends up as the governess for the children of her brother's commanding officer. What could possibly go wrong?

Regina Jennings does it again with this hilarious and enjoyable story titled Holding the Fort.

The characters of Louisa Bell and Major Daniel Adams were well-thought out and their story did not take the expected twists and turns. From the surprising way Daniel and Louisa first met, and how it was not discussed until later in the book, to the way Daniel conceded to another man who he believed Louisa had fallen for (this part was so, so funny---especially when Daniel gives this trooper his blessing).

However, one of my favorite parts of the story had to do with a secondary character: Lieutenant Jack Hennessey. I nearly died when reading Jack's reaction to Louisa's story about an incident she witnessed before coming to the fort. And again, when Louisa brings to attention a love letter she presumes had been written by a desperate trooper to the major's eldest daughter, Caroline. While Daniel is Jack's superior, there is also a friendship there which provides a level of comedy to the situation.

Louisa and Daniel's story was a fantastic read. There isn't a part of the book that I did not love.

My rating: 5 stars

I only recently discovered Regina Jennings back in April, when I read A Most Inconvenient Marriage. I was immediately hooked and quickly finished that series and started on her Ladies of Caldwell County series, which I finished in August. You can only imagine how difficult my wait was for this newest book to come out, but it was well worth it! I eagerly await the books to come. Fortunately, I won't have to wait long as the novella collection Hearts Entwined will be released in January. It includes a novella titled "Bound and Determined", a story about Louisa Bell's brother, Bradley Willis. I also hope to read more about Jack Hennessey in the upcoming novels in the Fort Reno series. Will he be next? Or will Caroline? Will we later fast-forward a decade and see a grown up Daisy? I can't wait!

Check out the upcoming Hearts Entwined collection, featuring novellas by Regina Jennings and other brilliant authors!


No comments:

Post a Comment